Note that this content is only available in Nigeria. To access the course:
- Log into WCEA App or website: cpd.wcea.education
- Use your organization username and password login credentials
- You will find the course on the Homepage and on the top of the Courses page.
A competent and empathic health care worker (HCW) is central to health care service delivery, including ensuring the uptake of COVID-19 testing and vaccines. As a result, USAID-funded Breakthrough ACTION-Nigeria in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health, National Primary Health Care Development Agency, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, National Agency for the Control of AIDS, National AIDS/STI Control Programme, and PEPFAR implementing partners developed the “Building Trust and Empathy Around COVID-19” training program.
This training program recognizes the importance of self-care and provider well-being while promoting effective positive client-provider interactions. The training program builds upon global and local evidence on the COVID-19 response and complements the National Interpersonal Communication and Counselling manual in a way that ensures health workers have the tools and capacity to address vaccine hesitancy and encourage COVID-19 prevention, testing and vaccination behaviors as outlined in the national guidelines and policies. The 2-day in-person training program has been successfully adapted into a 2- to 3-hour online course that can be completed for continuing professional development (CPD) credits.
At the end of the training, participants should:
- List the elements of quality interpersonal communication and counseling
- Describe why empathy is key to building trust with clients
- Identify techniques for practicing empathy and compassion to enhance interactions with clients
- Discuss how best to communicate about COVID-19 vaccination and address vaccine hesitancy effectively
- Understand and find ways to address provider stress and fatigue
By Breakthrough ACTION-Nigeria on behalf of John Hopkins University
Breakthrough ACTION-Nigeria led the development of this training course working in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health, National Primary Health Care Development Agency, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, National Agency for the Control of AIDS, National AIDS/STI Control Programme, and PEPFAR implementing partners.