Provides an overview of addiction to substances substance use disorders and the medications and therapies for substance use disorders
Webinar title: Understanding and managing substance use disorders in the primary care setting
Speaker: Dr. Theddeus Iheanacho – Psychiatry
Dr. Iheanacho is an Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Director of the Yale Global Mental Health Programs and Chairman of Psychiatry at Trinity Health of New England/Saint Francis Hospital, United States. He leads the HAPPINESS Project a collaboration between Yale University and local agencies to build capacity for mental health care in Nigeria. Dr. Iheanacho completed medical school at Abia State University and post-graduate training in psychiatry in Ireland and the United States. He is passionate about making mental health care accessible to all.
- Diagnose substance use disorders
- Describe the basics concepts of shared decision making, medical management, motivational interviewing, and cognitive behavioral therapy
- List 10 medications used for the treatment of opioid, alcohol, and nicotine use disorders and describe several harm reduction strategies (including naloxone benefits).
- Appreciate the importance of treating co-occurring disorders.
- Appreciate the role of specialty addiction treatment
Date: Thursday, 29th of June 2023
Time: 3 pm Central Africa Time (CAT)
Duration: 1 hour
CPD Points: 1